Frequently Asked Questions / Technical Questions
- History of Our Authentic True Tri-Power Carburetor Systems
- How do you keep the 3 Carbs “In Synch”?
- How much additional Horse Power will I gain when I go to the Tri-Power?
- Torque is what you want!!
- Is there an Increase in Fuel Economy?
- Will I have to Assemble the System myself?
- Do you you build anything besides 3-Deuces?
- What Size carbs do you use?
- What Size CFM do you use?
- Can You Restore My Carbs and / or Intake Manifold?
- How long does it take to get a System from you?
- Can You Help Me with Technical Questions for carbs you did not build?
- Can You Restore My Stromberg or Holley 3-Bolt Carbs?
- Can You Supply Me with Anything More than just Carburetor Systems?
- Hours of Business
- History of Our True Authentic Tri-Power Carburetor Systems… Designed originally by General Motors back in the ’50s and produced by the factories into the Mid ’60s, all Authentic True Tri-Power 3x2bbl. Carburetor Systems have used the versatile Rochester 2G / 2GC / 2GV model of carburetors, which are exactly the same carburetors that we use in ALL of our ‘Custom’ builds today.
- Function Every ‘Custom’ 3-Deuce System that We Build runs and idles strictly on the Primary – Center Carburetor. The Secondary – End Carbs do work, but they only flow fuel and air when You decide to put your foot into it. At that time, the progressive linkage starts to pull the end carbs open (just like the back half of a 4bbl. carb) and away you go!! This makes for a very efficient design in maximizing both Fuel Economy and Power.
- How do you keep the 3 Carbs “In Synch”? There is NO Carb Synching Ever Required with Our 3-Deuce Systems! The Synchronizing routine should only be a concern when dealing with the Stromberg, Holley and some BG carburetors. These models all have an idle &/or ‘drip’ circuit in their primary and their secondary carbs (to compensate for their “by design” vacuum leaks)… and just because they maybe capped off at the factory, doesn’t mean they aren’t there! Our 3-Deuce Rochester carbs only have One Idle Circuit, and that is in the Center Carb.
- How much additional Horse Power will I gain when I go to the Tri-Power? A couple of examples. GM advertised numbers back in the ’50s & ’60s showed typical horsepower increases of 20HP for Cadillac Tri-Power and 30HP for 348″ Chevrolet Tri-Power.…
- Torque is what you want!! Our involvement with many Engine Builders through the years has proven, that when comparing Our Authentic True Tri-Power Carb Systems to a Performance 4bbl. &/or Dual Quads, you won’t give up any ‘peak horsepower’ for that given engine. However, it is most certain that you will see a gain of an additional +20 to +40 Ft. Lbs. more Torque when using Our Tri-Power! Torque is what moves your vehicle! Torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants! Torque is way more important to your street driven vehicle than higher R.P.M. HP numbers. Realize this, when you increase the Torque you don’t have to push down on the gas pedal as hard or as far to get the vehicle up and moving.
- Is there an Increase in Fuel Economy? Because you are driving the Center 2bbl. Carburetor by itself the majority of the time, and because you have increased the amount of Torque produced in the driving range R.P.M.’s, you typically can see an improvement in your fuel consumption. A couple of examples. One customer of ours has a ’57 Chevy 2dr. post that was equipped with SBC 350″, a 650 Holley 4bbl. & a 4 speed. He was getting 17mpg hwy. mileage with that combination. Pretty good right? He switched the induction over to one of Our Complete Authentic Tri-Power Systems that was built specific to his vehicle, and he reported back to us that his mileage had increased to 23mpg hwy. That’s an an improvement of +35%… That’s like getting FREE Gas!! Another customer has a full fendered Deuce roadster with a 392″ Chrysler Hemi, with 3-Deuces and a GM 700R4 OD Transmission, in that is getting 26 – 28mpg hwy. These are his documented numbers. ** realize that individual driving habits and vehicle performance will affect your results **
- Will I have to Assemble the System myself? NO. Unlike Catalogs and Parts Only Providers, ALL of Our Systems are Built ‘Custom’ Specific to Your vehicle needs and they come Fully Assembled and COMPLETE for Your ease of installment. Just take Our assembled unit out of the shipping box… bolt it down… hook up the gas pedal (and transmission kick-down)… give it some fuel and you are good to go!
- Do you you build anything besides 3-Deuces? Yes. We build Complete ‘Custom’ 2-Deuce, 3-Deuce, 4-Deuce & 6-Deuce Systems. Take a look through our Systems Page for some ideas of what we might be able to do for you! If You don’t see it, Please Ask.
- What Size carbs do you use? We use the Small Base Rochester 2GC Carbs in ALL but a few of our applications.
– The Small Base Carb is easily ID’d by the air cleaner flange diameter of 2 5/8″.
– The Large Base Carb is easily ID’d by the air cleaner flange diameter of 3″ or 3 1/16″.
- What Size CFM do you use? We have different flow rates available, and we will use what is appropriate for the system application we are building for you. Don’t be fooled by BS numbers you heard from a buddy or read in a mail order catalog.
- Can You Restore My Carbs and / or Intake Manifold? IF you have some Rochester 2G / 2GC / 2GV cores that you’d want us to restore to our standards, we can do that. We must see what you have first and then we will decide if they are restorable or not.
IF you have an Old, Rare, Currently Not Available New Intake Manifold that you’d like to save and use, we can do that too. Repair / Restoration Charges are Time & Materials.
- How long does it take to get a System from you? Since all of our Systems are built ‘Custom’ per order, our business has always been based on a “first come, first served delivery”. When you are ready to place your order we can give you a timeline for delivery.
- Can You Help Me with Technical Questions for “Carbs You Did Not Build”? YES. But realize this, there are so many variables, it is sometimes hard to diagnose most problems in a 5 minute phone conversation.
Before calling, ‘Be Prepared’ to give us as much of the following information as possible;
– engine size; cam shaft specs (dur.@.050″ & CL); vacuum in inches; ignition timing / curve; trans. type, etc, etc.
– and the correct description / model of your Rochester 2-Jet carburetors.
These carbs have been made in different versions from the early 50’s through the mid 70’s. Do you know which ones you have?
- Can You Restore My Stromberg or Holley 3-Bolt Carbs? NO. We won’t restore the Early 3-Bolt Holleys or Strombergs, but we do sell the New ones. We do offer some replacement parts and pieces for these models as well – call with your needs!
- Can You Supply Me with Anything More than just Carburetor Systems? YES. Please take some time to look through our website. We have a great selection of Air Filters; Valve Covers; Valley Covers; HEI ‘Magneto Look’ Distributors, and our own proprietary Parts and Pieces for you to re-build your own Small Base Rochester 2-Jet carbs.
** We are WD Direct with Edelbrock, Offenhauser, and a few others, so let us know if there is anything else that you might be interested in obtaining from us.
- Hours of Business If you have any questions about Our Systems and / or Our Parts, please do call us Monday thru Friday / 9am – 5pm Mountain Time @ 406- 453- 5395